2020 Smart Home - Installing Home Assistant | BRUH Automation

Yo, Ben here! I’m pumped to share my 2020 Smart Home series on YouTube. In preparation for the next video (Part 2 - HASS Class), here are the steps I use to install Home Assistant. If you’re new to HA, you’re in the right place! Also, be sure to check out the offical Getting Started page if you want more info!

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.bruhautomation.io/2020-smart-home-installing-home-assistant/
1 Like

Looks great! I’m loving the updates moving things towards current versions of every thing out there. Don’t hesitate to rehash older content (LED string tutorial) with newer string types, esphome etc. It’s super useful. Can’t wait!

Thanks! And for sure! I plan on revisiting all of those projects over the next few months. I’ts pretty amazing how accessible the DIY world is now thanks to ESPHome/Tasmota (among others).

Thanks for what you do Ben, you produce some of my favorite videos! I’d love to see your guide include your NUC install too. I’m running Ubuntu on a Synology NAS… but I’m building a home (due to complete ~September 2020), and I’m trying to figure out what I want to run there. I’m currently running out of space frequently and trying to figure out how to keep my logs under control.

Just got home assistant installed as a virtual machine in hyper-V! Super excited for your upcoming series and learning more in 2020… took me about 3-4 days just to get a silly ip webcam integrated and able to stream to my chromecast lol

Hi Ben,

Been running HA in python virtual for about a year on a NUC on Ubuntu 18.04LTS. I’ve noticed that I’ll need to upgrade Python and this makes using Python virtual a somewhat poor way to go. So, I’m looking at rebuilding all with Docker. This seems to be superior as you can perhaps run things more isolated in containers.

However, I’ve always noticed that HASS users seem to have more menu items and “ease of use” for community add ons / plugins etc. At least, out of the box.

So the reason for the post - I’ve always found the fundamental differences between running HASS, HA on python, HA on docker etc to be confusing. Not about the install method - but what is the overall difference between these options, once you’ve picked one?

Thanks as always for your great videos and site - you have been a great help to understanding HA.

Paul

Tried all day yesterday to get HASSIO to run on a USB boot with no success…I think I’ll wait until you do a video on it

Tig

Hey Ben,

Thanks for your videos and I’m glad you’ll still be making videos in 2020.

This is a bit unrelated to this current topic but is there any way you could make some updates to the links on this video?

I can’t seem to find an updated and working sketch and it’s killing me lol. I really want to make this project work.

Much appreciation!

Hi there. Also using the NUC NUC8i7BEH, but then with 32GB RAM :wink: and a 250GB M.2, NVMe and a 500GB sata disk. On top of that I use Proxmox.

Have you noticed the two scripts by whiskerz007? At his github repository you can download a script that installs HassOS in a VM or you can download a script that installs HassOS in a LXC container.

I use the 500GB sata disk as a backup disk for my HassOS VM. Before I update my HassOS to the next version I first make a full backup. In case something is wrong I can revert to a working system within 5 to 10 minutes.